M&S halts online orders amid cyber attack fallout
Earlier this week Marks and Spencer issued an apology to its customers after its contactless payments and click-and-collect services experienced a widespread outage

Register to get 1 more free article
Reveal the article below by registering for our email newsletter.
Want unlimited access? View Plans
Already have an account? Sign in
Marks and Spencer has paused all online orders through both its website and apps following a cyber attack that hit the retailer last week.
In a statement the group said it was “truly sorry for the inconvenience”, and had taken the measure as part of “proactive management”.
A statement on Twitter today (25 April) said: “Our experienced team – supported by leading cyber experts – is working extremely hard to restart online and app shopping.”
An update from M&S pic.twitter.com/PSbIGHJtMY
— M&S (@marksandspencer) April 25, 2025
It added that customers could continue to browse products online and shop in stores using cash or card.
Customers who have already made an online order can also collect it in stores once they have received notification.
Earlier this week Marks and Spencer issued an apology to its customers after its contactless payments and click-and-collect services experienced a widespread outage over the Bank Holiday weekend.
Customers were frustrated by the lack of an official statement from the company or any warning signage in the store indicating that there was a problem.
Many demanded an explanation on Twitter, with some saying they were forced to abandon their full weekly shops at the checkout.
The company stated that the issue had also affected its emails and chat systems, which is why it wasn’t able to get any communication out to its customers ahead of them visiting the store or collecting an item in store.
However, the group confirmed that it is not a security issue but a technical glitch that occurred within its payment systems.