Supply chain issues could continue into 2023, the chief executive of the Association of British Ports (APB) has warned.
According to the Sunday Times, APB CEO Henrik Pedersen, said he would be “pleasantly surprised” if the supply chain crisis was resolved before the end of next year, citing the fact the issues come from the congestion of shipping containers as well as a lack of HGV drivers.
Pedersen added ABP’s ports are currently congested with empty containers from Asia, which were unable to be sent back due to a lack of space at the Asian ports from which they came.
The news comes as a number of retailers have been affected by issues surrounding their supply chains.
Last month, Next warned that it expects its sales growth to slow throughout the remainder of the year as, despite stock availability improving, the retailer said it still remains a “challenge”, with delays in the international supply chain still compounded by labour shortages in the UK transport and warehousing networks.
The government said Lewis would bring with him a “wealth of industry knowledge” and expertise to the new role and that he would advise the PM and chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster on both immediate improvements and any “necessary long term changes” to UK supply chains for goods.
The government added this would include identifying both the causes of current blockages and pre-empting potential future ones, and advising on resolutions either through direct government action or through industry with Government support.
Lewis is also co-chair of the new Supply Chain Advisory Group, consisting of external experts in the field, and the new Industry Taskforce, to ensure those on the ground have the opportunity to voice their concerns and advise on the most efficient resolutions.