Sainsbury\u2019s CEO Simon Roberts has backed calls for tougher laws to protect shop workers from abuse and physical attacks.\r\n\r\nRoberts told the Mail on Sunday that he had been working with the government and other retail bosses after attacks on the supermarket\u2019s staff \u201cescalated through last year\u201d.\r\n\r\nHe stated that Sainsbury\u2019s had invested millions into body-worn cameras which have been offered to all its 150,000 staff.\r\n\r\nThe cameras send a signal to a support team who can watch the footage and if necessary, ring the police and ask for officers to be sent to the store.\r\n\r\nRoberts said: \u201cI see a report every day on the number of violent incidents and assaults on our people in our petrol stations, our convenience stores and in our shops.\r\n\r\n\u201cAny situation where a human being feels threatened or not safe \u2013 we need to put the strength of the law behind that. We have a responsibility and the government and police do as well.\u201d\r\n\r\nRoberts added: \u201cWe wanted to lead the industry [on body cameras]. There were all kinds of issues around data protection, but in the end you just have to take a position. The key point is that this should not be in any way just overlooked.This is a crime. Stealing is a crime.\u201d\r\n\r\nThe news comes after Roberts confirmed that Sainsbury\u2019s was also in contact with the Government over potential delays due to the Red Sea crisis.